I’ve officially joined a Kettlebell Club!

Tonight is my first class – I’m both excited and a little nervous.  Excited because I know the classes are very small (just 5 or 6 people), the trainer is hardcore about form, and I know that Kettlebells work. Nervous, because the trainer is hardcore about form and I know he’s going to kick my butt.  I told him yesterday that I probably wouldn’t like him very much during class, to which he replied “Nobody does.” haha (I think?) I signed up for 3 months, which will put me directly at my vacation in May.  I think that will help motivate me to get through the first 3 months is knowing that at the end will be vacation and it’s a nice goal to be as fit as possible by that time.  What I do know, however, is that my last 3 months at the gym I fell in love with free weights and once I started focusing only on free weights I lost a clothing size. I’m excited to see what can be accomplished with a trainer pushing me.

I was gathering my things together for class last night and knew I had some take home tests that I’d done and wanted to make sure I got those into class.  It was 10 minutes before I had to leave and as I pulled them out of the bag, I realized there was an entire 30 question test that I never even touched. I thought there were only two of them, but there were three tests!! I instantly felt like an idiot, considered skipping class so that I could turn it in next week, but didn’t because we had also had an in-class test (which I am pretty sure I made a 100% on!) I just didn’t know what to do. So, I turned in the two that I’d completed and I’ll do the third one this week.  Perhaps I can play it off like “Oh my goodness, it was left in my bag!” or something. But if I have to miss this test grade, I think I will just let it serve as a very important lesson.

I’ve felt very stressed this week, my biology class is ending soon which means it’s reached a fever pitch getting things wrapped up and ready for the last test and then upcoming final. I had three take home tests and an in-class test in Geography this week.  I felt like I barely had time to study for everything between working full-time, actually attending class, getting to the gym, and church on Sundays.  Then, sitting in class last night, it occurred to me.  How many hours did I waste on Facebook last week? I don’t mean to – I just get on for a quick look and 30 minutes pass.  For the sake of my education, I deactivated my Facebook account last night. I’ll reactivate it at some point, but for now…I’m off.  I made no announcement – I just did it…and it does make me wonder how long until someone notices that I’m gone? I like to think I’m so important on there and I’ll bet it’ll be a month before anybody wonders where I am.

I’m saving the draft here, I will add my Kettlebell experience. It’s time for me to get dressed for work!

14 hours later:

I’m back! Done with work, done with kettlebell club and done with homework for the evening. I’m kicked back watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother.  The long and short of it is this – Kettlebell class is HARD!  However, the two hardest parts didn’t involve kettlebells at all.  I’ll walk you through…

It started with a couple of yoga positions for warm up – I’ve never done yoga before, so even this was new. Downward Dog and Upward Dog. Weird positions, but they stretch you out and get you warmed up.  Next, he had us do five push-ups. I impressed him with my mad push-up skills. His exact words were “Another woman who can do real push-ups!! I’m so impressed!!” I busted out five right away and felt good about it. As we started using the kettlebells he upped me to 20 lbs on some of them because he said “I can tell you’ve been doing weight training” Yes! We did a few different (sets, positions, whatever they are called) with the kettlebells and that felt good, it wasn’t easy, but I didn’t feel like I was going to die.  Until –

Pull-ups.  Turns out, I can’t do pull-ups.  We were to pull up as much as we could, hold there for five counts and come back down – and do this four times. I pulled myself up approximately one inch (seriously). After this, we did some more kettlebell work and then came the next part that really did almost kill me.  It made the pull-ups seem like a piece of cake.  It was another round of pushups, except this time it was on his count. That means he had us go into a half pushup and hold it for five minutes 30 seconds. My arms had just been through all this major work out and about 10 seconds into the hold, my arms and shoulders were shaking – closer to the end I was breathing so hard I honestly wondered if my arms would collapse under me. I did sneak a knee to the ground a time or two just to catch a break. We had to do this twice.  It was complete and utter madness.

However, the moment it was over and I realized I had survived – I felt GREAT! My upper body is still quite…not sore, but I can tell I worked out.  He said on Saturday I’ll probably be quite sore, and I’m supposed to go back in for class on Saturday morning.  I feel like I’ll probably be quite sore tomorrow…but we’ll see! At this rate, I’ll be whipped into shape in no time at all.

Did I mention that my instructor is a former Marine?


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: